Not a Fan

Recently, I’ve been reading the book “Not a Fan” by Kyle Idleman, and I’ve come to the conclusion that in some areas of my life, I’m more of a fan of Christ than a follower. I’ve recently been convicted that I don’t talk about Jesus enough. I don’t share enough about how He is working in and through me. I talk more about the Philadelphia Eagles' season (Fly Eagles Fly), than I do about Christ and what He’s done for me on the cross. I want that to change. Yes, it’s okay to be a huge sports fan, but if I’m loving that and talking about that more than my relationship with Christ, something is wrong. God sent his one and only Son to die on the cross for my sins. The sins I commit every single day. Being prideful. Thinking poorly of other people. Judging others. Not trusting that God does in fact know what He’s doing with me, and that his plans are wayyy better than any I can make for myself. I need to deny myself, my wants, my desires, every single day. It’s easy to think “Life is going well, I’m in Honduras, loving kids who have difficult backgrounds and teaching kids a second language. Wow. Great job Rachel! Kudos to me!” BUT if I’m not loving, none of this matters--at all. My pride is clouding any sort of love I can give to these kids. I Corinthians 13, “The love chapter” describes how Christ calls us to love. The first portion of the chapter is something I’ve missed every time I’ve read it. I was recently challenged with it, and I had to ask myself how in the world I could have read past this time and time again. 

“If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging symbol. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.” 


In the book, Not a Fan, the author discusses why John 3:16 is the most quoted verse in the Bible-- It talks about God loving us, Jesus dying for us, and the fact that we can have eternal life in Him. The author then goes on to talk about Luke 9:23, a verse that should go hand in hand with John 3:16, but doesn't... “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 
“John 3:16 emphasizes believing. Luke 9:23 focuses on following” (Idleman, 115).
I want to believe and follow. I want to deny myself, take up my cross daily, and follow Him. 

The following is an excerpt from this book, Not a Fan, that is too good not to share. 

“Jesus begins his call to follow him with these two words, 'If anyone'… Anyone is a significant word because it makes it clear whom he is inviting. Anyone. Anyone is an all-inclusive word. Anyone means everyone. Jesus doesn’t begin with a list of pre-qualifications. His invitation to follow is addressed to Anyone. Many people don’t realize they’ve been invited to follow. They think, “Not after what I’ve done. He wouldn’t want me to follow him. I would never make the cut.” They assume they aren’t qualified and as a result never take seriously what it means to follow Jesus. After all, what’s the point in filing out an application if you know you won’t get approved?” (Idleman, 117). 

So, friend I want to ask you, Have you accepted this gift? Have you considered the whole “Jesus thing” but thought it “wasn’t for you”, or that “Christianity isn’t “fun”, or maybe, “Jesus won’t love me, because of what I’ve done?” 
Don’t believe these lies! 

“It’s important to understand that the grace of God doesn’t simply invite us to follow… it teaches us to follow. Even after we decide to follow Jesus, we continue to need his grace for the journey… There are plenty of days where I find myself living as a fan, but each morning I receive the same grace-filled invitation from Jesus— “Follow me”(Idleman).

I love Christ, and desire to love and serve him with every bone in my body. I want others to see the joy of Christ radiate throughout my life. I want others to look at me and say “wow, she’s different, and I want to know why". I want everyone I come in contact with to know the love of Christ. To experience the love, joy, peace, and salvation he has to offer. I’ll tell ya, the more I learn about His love and see his working so clearly in my life, I can’t help but want to shout it from the rooftops. I want to be like Monica in Friends, when she shouts from the rooftop “I’M ENGAGED, I’M ENGAGED!”
I am a follower of Christ, and I want to invite you to accept this gift of salvation, after all… it is for anyone. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Very Next Thing

9 Weeks