You Call Me Out Upon the Waters

Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)
"You call me out upon the waters the great unknown where feet may fail.
And there I find you in the mystery, in oceans deep, my faith will stand.
and I will call upon your name, keep my eyes above the waves
when oceans rise my soul will rest in your embrace
For I am Yours, and you are mine.

Your grace abounds in deepest waters. Your sovereign hand will be my guide.
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed, and you won't start now.

So I will call upon your name, keep my eyes above the waves

when oceans rise, my soul will rest in your embrace
For I am yours, and You are mine


Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders,
let me walk upon the waters wherever You would call me.
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
and my faith will be made stronger in the presence of my Savior"

If you listen to Christian radio at all, you've heard this song a thousand times by Hillsong United. It's a great song, yes, and I've always loved it. However, while in Honduras this summer, the Spirit was really working in my heart, and this song was brought to mind... And wow, was it scary! This song has come up over and over again, and is my 'theme song' if you will for God's calling in my life to Honduras.

This past weekend I had the incredible opportunity to go to the Passion conference in Atlanta, Georgia. The worship was absolutely amazing, and the speakers were literally some of the best in the world. As we walked into Philipps Arena, I just prayed that God would reaffirm His calling in my life to teach in Honduras... and did He ever.

After a stressful and somewhat anxiety-inducing hour of waiting in line (long story), and missing the first half of Hillsong's worship, we finally found our seats with our leaders.. Though we missed three and a half songs, the first full song I was there for was 'Oceans,' and I couldn't hold myself together. Singing with 20,000 other college students, being led by the band who created this song, and all worshiping the same God was absolutely amazing. {This was another defining moment in this entire process.} This moment was just another step of God telling me, "I know it's scary, but I have never failed you and I won't start now.. Keep trusting me, wherever that may be, although it's deeper than you can wander yourself, your faith WILL be made stronger through this."

Wow, God is so good, and these lyrics are incredible!!

Am I scared, anxious, nervous, and have any other feelings of uncertainty about moving to Honduras for five months? YES. I'm traveling to a third world country, where they speak a language I don't know, I will be away from home (yes I get homesick), and have to teach (no, I don't have a degree in that!) With all that though, I can honestly say I've never felt such a peace or clear calling. Yes, it's scary, but it reminds of Matthew 16, where Jesus is telling his disciples what it will cost them to follow him.
 Jesus told the disciples in verse 24;  "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves, and take up their cross and follow me."

In his book Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream, David Platt states: 
“Radical obedience to Christ is not easy... It's not comfort, not health, not wealth, and not prosperity in this world. Radical obedience to Christ risks losing all these things. But in the end, such risk finds its reward in Christ. And he is more than enough for us.” 

If you know me at all, you know that me going to Honduras isn't like me at all, and just shows how much God is working in my heart and life. Going is definitely God calling me out on the waters, the great unknown, where feet may fail.. but in oceans deep, my faith will stand.

Take a listen-- Oceans:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not a Fan

The Very Next Thing

9 Weeks